A trip to the Dubai Souq (traditional bazaar) often reminds me of the ‘Faraway Tree’ a book written by Enid Blyton and always fills me with thrill in a childlike way. Its like walking into a magical wonderland of colors and dreams.
While i traipsed from one shop to the other, the eager and hopeful traders welcomed me with turkish coffee and samples of their wares. I noticed a really sweet old man and decided to walk into his store.
While i was busy smelling cinnamon and anise and the various tea’s he put before me, i was pushed into a corner by a group of highly charged arabic women who seemed to be in a huge hurry. The old man disappeared into their midst trying to get them to sample his wares while they argued about prices and quality.
I decided on my buys, but was caught amidst the crowd while the flustered old man tried his best to cater to all of us women at one go. I guess he must have been really confused with all the demands cos he mixed up my buys with one of the others. Once home, I was pleasantly surprised to find a big pack of dried roses and a pop art-ish looking box of lebanese oolong tea in my bag!
Rose Citrus and Oolong skin tonic:
1. So, I simmered the dried roses in a saucepan for almost 30 minutes. You can, of course, use fresh rose petals, just make sure you have cleaned them thoroughly. The one i had were perfectly cleaned.
2. Added the peel of one orange and one lemon. Boiled the concoction some more.
3. Added 2 tbsp of Oolong Tea.
Feel free to use whichever tea you have at home. Just make sure its not not one of those premixed spice/ masala tea’s you get in the market nowadays. Using a bag or two of green or white tea is a plus.
4. Bring the mix to a boil and keep boiling for atleast 5 minutes. You will see the roses go limp and lose their color completely.
5. Cool, Strain and Refrigerate.
6. Store in a spray bottle or a regular glass bottle to use with a cotton swab.
I have been using this for the last month and i find that i don’t even need to use a moisturizer if i use this tonic on my face. My skin feels smooth, soft and cleansed. And i know, I am not feeding it anything artificially simulated.